Wednesday, July 14, 2010

France trip: day 3


Who said we couldn’t do every single thing we wanted to in one day? Whoever did was more than wrong. We made a list last night of things to do in Paris today and boy did we hit them all and then some.


We found our way to the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur. This Basilica has a very different look from the ones we have seen so far. The basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city.


After we admired and awed for a bit we turned around and took a look at the view of the city. As we did this, there was a rush of applause's and ohs and awes. We looked and saw a man proposing to a girl. He had people holding a huge sign that said “Will You Marry Me?” It was adorable. We over heard the happy couple’s blissful story and then we girls walked away feeling quite joyful about life. Oh sweet love. Haha. After we had fun walking around admiring the paintings that were being sold along the streets. One man was quite convinced he could get me to buy a 200euro painting. Little did he know I am close to broke now. :)





Our next stop was nothing other than the Louvre. I got to see one of my favorite pieces. “Nike Winged Victory of Samothrace!” It is just beautiful! Of course we saw the popular works: Mona Lisa, Venus De Milo… etc. I’ve studied a bunch of the works in this Museum so I just love being able to see them in real life. It is a little discouraging picking what you want to see in the Louvre since it is something like 15 acres big with nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 19th century. Yikes! I wanted to see it all! Maybe next time I'm in Paris... sigh....

Next up!? * RAIN*

I have never before seen rain fall that hard before. We were just outside of the Louvre taking pictures and exploring when we heard some drip drops. And then BOOM! Waterfall! We ran to safety… which was already filled with people so we didn’t really fit under the roof of the Louvre. So Umbrellas went up!

We waited for a while and then realized we would be there for a while so we got our lunches out and ate French sandwiches in the rain at the Louvre. At that moment I didn’t even care that it was raining. Life was perfect.

The rain let up a little bit so we walked along the river and sang in the rain realizing that Paris is wonderful, rain and all! We ran to a little bistro when the rain started to fall harder and got Crepes. Amazing banana Nutella crepes. We laughed and talked to the funny French waiter. FInall we gave up on rain and decided to just live it up while soaked.

We ran and finally got to Notre Dame de Paris. Can you believe they were going to tear this building down? Thank you, Victor Hugo! We walked around and enjoyed the beautiful stained glass. Then we sat down and listened to the music playing. It was still raining hard so we decided to stay a while. Oh, and guess what I can now say I have done? I have taken a nap in Notre Dame! Haha We all were so tired from running and going all day that we fell asleep on a bench for about 20 minutes. Then we moved on out and walked around back to see the flying buttresses.

We saw many more places such as

Centre Georges-Pompidou

The Panthéon

Latin Quarter.

Les Invalides

But my favorite part was just walking down the streets of Paris. I think we walked probably 20 miles today. Haha. I have no idea how far but we walked a LONG way form place to place and counting the times we got lost… it probably was around that many miles. Ha. One thing that is so bittersweet about Paris is that even though I walked all day and saw so much I know I still missed so many great and wonderful things about this town. Now that’s the bitter part, the sweet part is that I know that I can come back to Paris and explore so many new places. It will never get old.

We went to a nice Restaurant for dinner… Splurged a bit… and then headed over to a park to watch the Huge FIRE WORK SHOW!! Today is Bastille Day here in France! And they have one of the biggest fire works show in the world at the Eiffel Tower! I was so excited I couldn’t contain myself. Fireworks are one of my most favorite things! I was so giddy! And let me tell you… it did not disappoint. There were tons of people and the firework show was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It never ended!! We ran around on the grass, laughed, awed, and had the most amazing night watching fireworks in Paris.

I feel so incredibly blessed to have experienced all that I did today. It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

madisonbrielle@gmail.com