Friday, July 16, 2010

Goodbye France

Well our France trip is coming to an end. But not to worry! It's not quite over yet! As we rode in the bus to get back to Calais to get on the Ferry, we stopped at a couple of WWII sites. First site was the Lochnagar crater memorial. Wow, this was crazy. Just a huge crater in the middle of a field. Whenever we learn about WWII and go see these sites a piece of my heart breaks for the people that had to endure through it. So many lives lost, and families broken.

I played around in the wheat field after and had a good time. Sometimes my child instinct kicks in and I immediately want to play orphans and run through the fields away from the children catcher... strange i know, but it makes for a good time!
Our next stop was Battle of the Somme memorial. Wow, this was a somber experience. So many names listed on this huge memorial. I walked around for a bit and then just sat as so many thoughts went through my mind. All I could think about is how God must feel seeing his children fight in war. His beautiful creations fighting and killing each other. It must be heart breaking to him. Not to mention all of the paint each soldier feels, along with all of the families. Heavenly Father's heart must just break. But thankfully He gives the wounded comfort. I know I definitely had to pray for some comfort while reading down a list of names. Very humbling experience. Thank you to all who served or who are serving our country! I love you and am thankful for you!

We stopped at a couple more memorial sites before we headed to catch the ferry back to England. We even got to put a small cross by the grave of our choice at one of the cemeteries.


Heading back on the ferry! We played lots of fun games to entertain ourselves... Love these people!



No comments:

Post a Comment

madisonbrielle@gmail.com