Saturday, July 3, 2010

*Saturday Surprises*




This Morning we got up and ran to Leicester Square to get tickets for Les Mis! Oh and guess what! Surprise! It’s gay pride day here in London. We were confused at first while walking around the streets of London, but we soon got the idea after the many rainbow flags, parades, and people with no gender went by. All I can say is that I saw some VERY interesting looking and dressed people today. More on that later though.

What next? Portobello road? Yes indeed! We got on the tube and headed towards the market! Oh what fun we had there! It is huge! So many stores, and stands, and antiques, and dishes, and the list goes on!! Quite frankly, I was in heaven! haha. It was a little too busy though. It was hard to stay together with the other girls but we managed. I got some great vintage scarves and some presents for people back home. I think I am done with shopping for a while. It tired me out! But I saw some great antique jewelry. I found this ring that has a Cameo on it and I wanted it so badly, but unfortunately I am not willing to pay 65 pounds for an antique ring. That’s about $98. Shoot. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a cheaper one. I found many treasures and if trying to get it home wasn't a problem I probably would have spent much more $$ today. They had amazing silverware, (because I need silverware right? haha) and old boxes, and old bags! Have I said enough? Probably. You get the point. We were there for a couple hours and then went home for lunch. Thank you, Portobello Market. You did not disappoint me.

P.S. funny coincident for today: my ipod is my alarm and last night I set the alert on my Disney playlist. For no particular reason, I just thought it might be fun to wake up to Disney. Guess what song it played? Well you will never guess because who even has this song on their ipod? It was Portobello Road from the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
Yes, I woke up smiling because of this.

Portobello road, Portobello road

Street where the riches of ages are stowed.

Anything and everything a chap can unload

Is sold off the barrow in Portebello road.

You’ll find what you want in the Portebello road.
(Which I did.)


L to R Courtney, Whitney, Emily, me


So around 4:30 we headed out to catch dinner and then head to our show. Ok so I found a treasure! We stopped for dinner at a little sandwich shop in Leicester Square. I got the best sandwich in the world. It had chicken, bacon, lettuce, cucumbers, and cheese. To top it off, it was toasted on amazing bread. All I can say is, I WILL be going back there. When I find out the name I will come and write it on this post, but for now lets just call it the "outstanding Sandwich Restaurant." Emily got a cucumber and cream cheese toasted on a bagel and she said it was quite delicious as well.

So this is when we had more excitement with the whole gay pride day. It was a mess in London. So many people. Not to mention some very sketchy people. Everyone was drunk. Some were funny, some were ridiculous, and some were throwing up. We got through the crowd and still had time to spare so we got ice cream. We sat outside and just people watched. I have to admit, I saw some really entertaining/scary people.



Les Miserables was just amazing as always! And for all of you Jonas Brothers fans, Nick Jonas played Marius. I will tell you I know all about 2 songs by them, but it was still fun to see him on Broadway. And props to him, he did pretty well for a pop star!


After we wanted to see if we could see the performers walk out, so we went around back.
OH NO.
Bad mistake.
CRAZY!
I got beer pored all over my feet and there was trash everywhere. This Gay Pride day just trashed London. Garbage everywhere. Glass everywhere. Half naked people everywhere. Drunk people everywhere. People singing, laughing, screaming. It was pretty chaotic. Don't worry Dad, it wasn't too unsafe. At least I didn’t feel unsafe. I was with 3 other girls and we got out of there pretty fast! :) Just fyi.

BUT, to illustrate how crazy it was, I have one last story to tell.
As we were walking to the tube station we stopped at a cross walk. I looked down and saw a man laying unconscious with blood all over the ground coming out of the back of his head. Dead or alive? I didn’t know. Two British women got on their phones and called the police. I don't know what happened because we crossed the road right after that. I thought about him a lot tonight though. I hope he is ok. I guess I'll never know.

Well I had my fair share of adventures today. It was a fun day though.
Even the chaos brought some good times.
All in all...
That's London for you.
Surprising and entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. When I was living in Vienna, I was going home one night on the subway (or the U-Bahn, as we like to say over there), and I was walking from one subway line to the other along a long corridor I liked to call "Druggy Row". It was where all the meth dealers and druggies hung out and when you walked down you'd get asked if you wanted and or had drugs at least a dozen times. Anyway, this one night, there was a massive, MASSIVE pool of blood and then a trail about ten yards long. There was an abulence at the end of the corridor, but I never saw the person that got hurt or any of the medics. It was crazy, crazy creepy. I remember thinking that the blood didn't look real. Like it was too red, too thick. Well, glad we could bond over these gruesome, bloody aspects of city life babe! Also, awesome that you saw Nick Jonas - what a hottie ;), and the Portobello Road song coincidence is amazing!!! I used to sing that song every time I went to Portobello. Love that place.

    ReplyDelete

madisonbrielle@gmail.com